Search icon

Social Work

Practice Teaching and Social Work Students

Adult Social Care and Health works in partnership with the Merseyside Universities, including Chester, Edge Hill, Hope, John Moores and Liverpool Community College to support the Social Work Degree and MA Course students. Occasionally we support students on other courses such as UCLAN or Manchester Universities where the student has a St Helens connection.

We aim to provide good quality placement experiences to students, and to be actively involved in their assessment and learning. Examples of quality factors in social work practice and learning in the North West of England can be found on the Skills for Care North West website, and it is good to see the St Helens Physical and Sensory Disabilites Team as a case study in this publication.


The Adult Social Care and Health Department is seeking members of staff to support students on placements. There are many ways in which you can become involved. Firstly, there is a 'whole team' approach in which all members of a setting or team assist with helping the student to learn. The student is supervised either by a Work Based Supervisor, who will take responsibility for day to day supervision and support to the student. They will work alongside an off-site Practice Educator (the new title for Practice Teachers and Assessors) or alternatively with an on-site Practice Educator who will take full responsibility for the student.

Other support to Practice Supervisors and Educators will come from Line Managers and from the Practice Learning Co-ordinators (contact details below).

Training is available to staff who would like to be involved in practice learning.


For further information please contact Workforce Development Team at St Helens Council 01744 674410 


Related Pages

© St.Helens Council 2022